New JFF Collaborative Increases Apprenticeship Access for Opportunity Youth
BOSTON, MA – February 13, 2020 – JFF has selected 15 organizations from across the United States to receive hands-on support for their efforts to provide opportunity youth with expanded access to apprenticeships.
With the support of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Apprenticeship Expansion and Modernization Fund, JFF will work with these organizations to enroll 500 opportunity youth in Registered Apprenticeship programs by 2022.
The 15 organizations were chosen at the conclusion of a multistep competitive process.
Over the next three years, JFF will be partnering with Social Policy Research Associates (SPR), the National Association of Workforce Boards (NAWB), and the District 1199C Training & Upgrading Fund (1199C) to provide the organizations with coaching from experts in the apprenticeship field, as well as peer learning opportunities and access to incentive and rapid innovation pilot funding to support sponsors and apprentices.
JFF believes that apprenticeships can provide the support and training people need to get on the path to high-paying careers. These are especially promising programs for opportunity youth—the 4.69 million people between the ages of 16 and 24 who are out of school and unemployed.
The selected sites are:
- The Adams County Workforce and Business Center – Westminster, CO
- Capital Workforce Partners – Hartford, CT
- The Corps Network – Washington D.C.
- Cutler Institute’s Youth and Community Engagement – Portland, ME
- FareStart – Seattle, WA
- Goodwill Industries of Middle Tennessee – Nashville, TN
- Goodwill of North Georgia – Decatur, GA
- Jasper Independent School District (on behalf of the Deep East Texas College and Career Alliance) – Jasper, TX
- JEVS Human Services – Philadelphia, PA
- Philadelphia Youth Network- Philadelphia, PA
- Shenandoah Valley Workforce Development Board – Harrisonburg, VA
- Southeast Michigan Community Alliance – Taylor, MI
- United Way of Greater Atlanta – Atlanta, GA
- Workforce Development Council of Seattle-King County – Seattle, WA
- Worksystems – Portland, OR
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives change in the American workforce and education systems to achieve economic advancement for all. www.jff.org